Peanut butter cups, almond butter cups, COCONUT BUTTER cups; I love them all. But of peanut butter, almond butter, and coconut, there is still one food that for me, trumps them all. Avocado, of course! I make and buy these cups all the time so it occurred to me- why not use avocado as a filling, too? Or would the avocado filling go brown in just a day or two?
Introducing my Avocado Marshmallow Cups… because why just use Avocado when you have a spare bag of gluten-free marshmallows in your cabinet, too? I have to give my mom credit for scheming up this recipe… turns out she has a sweet tooth just like mine!
Regardless of filling there is one constant in all of my chocolate cups, and that is the use of Enjoy Life Foods mini chips!! The chips are gluten, dairy, nut and soy free, making them especially perfect for these cups, as no nuts are involved, either. This recipe requires just 4 ingredients and is so simple to make!
What You Will Need:
1 Cup Mashed Avocado (1.5 Medium Avocados)
1/2 Cup Melted Marshmallow
2T Coconut Oil
1 Bag Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
Optional: Pink Himalayan Sea Salt to top
What You Will Do:
- In a bowl, mash your avocados. Portion out 1 Cup of Mashed Avocado and set aside (Likely ~1.5 Avocados)
- In a microwave, melt a handful of marshmallows. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and microwave for another 30 seconds. Set a half cup aside.
- Combine your bowls of avocado and marshmallow and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place this mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a third bowl, melt half a bag of Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
- Line a muffin tray with baking cups, and pour a thin layer of chocolate into the cups. With a knife, spoon, or spatula, drag the melted chocolate up along the side of the baking cup, creating a small bowl of chocolate.
- Refrigerate for ~15 minutes
- Cut off a corner in the bag with avocado filling, and squeeze avocado paste into the now semi-solidified chocolate cups.
- Place back in the refrigerator for 15 minutes so the avocado filling firms on the chocolate.
- Melt the rest of your Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
- Remove tray of baking cups from the refrigerator, and pour remaining chocolate onto the cups and cover the avocado filling completely.
- Place back into the refrigerator until hard.
Once the chocolate shells have hardened, you can remove them from the baking cups and enjoy!! The cups will stay good out and/or in the refrigerator for at least a week, and you can freeze them, too!!
The consistency of these cups is much different than you are used to with nut butter cups. The filling doesn’t totally solidify the way nut butter fillings do. I actually prefer this though because the cups feel lighter!! Enjoy!