Not quite sure what it is, but my sweet tooth has been insatiablelately. Worse than normal, if that’s even possible. However, I can never let my stomach win outright when it comes to a battle with my brain and my morals, hence “healthy desserts.” This is a thing, people. I swear to you, desserts do not have to be bad for you for them to be fulfilling.
Take these brownies, for instance. No gluten, dairy, nuts, grains, or refined sugar. We can continue to analyze these brownies on paper about what they don’t have, but what they do have is obviously more important. Outstanding flavor, rich texture, the ability to satisfy your cravings. And, you can eat half of the pan and not feel gross or even the slightest bit guilty. Now, that is powerful.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 50-55 minutes
Servings: 16 (ha ha ha, more like 8 or 4 or…2)
1 cup sweet potato mash/purée (about one large sweet potato)
1/2 cup banana, mashed (about one large banana)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1/3 cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 10×10 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine sweet potato, banana, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and eggs.
- In a separate, large bowl, combine coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, espresso powder, and cocoa powder.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Pour batter into baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean or just with a few crumbs.
- Take out of oven and let sit for a couple minutes.
- Grab two sides of parchment paper, and transfer brownies to a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely. This will be hard, but these actually taste better when they’re fully cooled. I wouldn’t make you wait unless it really made a difference! The texture really comes together as they cool.