As someone who doesn’t eat gluten, I find it tricky to successfully make a dessert. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stared down a bowl of cookie dough or cake batter before placing it in the oven and imparting a look that says “you better work” only to be met with crumbly cookies or a sunken cake after the timer goes off.
I’m constantly developing new recipes, and failures do happen, but each failure is a learning experience. These cookie bars are a recipe I’ve been tweaking over the past few weeks and I have to say – there are few ways to articulate through words the simple joy I felt when the recipe actually worked and tasted amazing. Huge props to Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour for being awesome. And pro tip: always add ice cream.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Servings: 9-12 cookie bars
4 slices bacon, diced
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 stick Earth Balance, melted (or 1/2 cup butter or coconut oil)
Walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×11 baking pan with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, add bacon and sauté for about 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, espresso powder, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Stir to combine.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine eggs and vanilla.
- Add melted Earth Balance to eggs and vanilla and whisk together quickly.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Add chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, and cooked bacon, and mix together.
- Pour dough into lined 8×11 baking pan.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread dough evenly across pan.
- Place in oven for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Remove pan from oven and let cool for two minutes.
- Transfer cookie bars to a cooling rack and let cool completely.