Photos and Review by Analiese Trimber of The Bacon Princess Blog!
I love shopping locally. This could have to do with the fact that DC has tons of interesting local products, thanks to Union Kitchen, a food incubator located in Northeast DC who now has two locations brimming with startups. I hate picking favorites, but there are two Union Kitchen products I just can’t live without: SWAPPLES™ and Jawea Ice Cream.
SWAPPLES™ are these incredible savory freezer waffles that are entirely made of vegetables. They’re gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, vegan…the list goes on. The primary ingredient in these puppies is yucca, a root vegetable that is utilized far more in South America than it is in the US. SWAPPLES™ is changing that. I know your first instinct is to think “blech” when I say it’s a waffle made of vegetables, but I cannot emphasize how amazing these things actually taste.
Jawea produces a line of dairy-free ice creams that use coconut milk as its base, and let me tell you, they know what they’re doing. I would consider myself somewhat of a non-dairy ice cream connoisseur, and I can tell you these treats are the real deal.
Since I love these products so much, it only made sense to combine my two favorite flavors of each – Sweet Potato Curry and Salty Dulce – together in the happiest food marriage known to man: the ice cream sandwich. I know this flavor combo sounds a little quirky, but don’t knock it ’til ya try it.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 minutes
Rest Time: 10-12 minutes
Total Time: 17-20 minutes
Servings: 2 ice cream sandwiches
- Defrost SWAPPLES™ in the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Throw in the toaster, and toast until golden brown.
- Grab your cooling rack, and place a sheet of parchment paper underneath.
- Remove SWAPPLES™ from toaster, and let cool completely on cooling rack.
- While SWAPPLES™ are cooling, place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave until melted, stirring every 15 seconds.
- When chocolate chips are melted, add coconut oil. You do not have to melt the coconut oil beforehand, since the chocolate will melt it anyways.
- Once SWAPPLES™ have cooled, dip them in the chocolate mixture. You can dip half like me, coat them completely, or even just drizzle the chocolate on top – whatever you want.
- Let chocolate cool completely, forming your “magic shell.”
- Place your pint of Jawea Salty Dulce ice cream on its side. Using a bread knife, slice two sections of ice cream that are about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thick. Basically, slice as much ice cream as you want for your sandwich!
- Put slice of ice cream onto one SWAPPLES™, and add the other swapple right on top.
- Voilá! You have a SWAPPLES™ ice cream sandwich!
Hungry for some SWAPPLES™ now? See where you can buy them here.