Every Thanksgiving I’m asked for two recipes: pie and stuffing. And this year I’m happy to announce (well I guess y’all can be the judge) that I’ve perfected NOBREAD-approved recipes for both! Pie’s come in all types and flavors, but at the core of every amazing pie recipe is a delicious gluten-free crust. The crust I’ve developed below is a “single crust” (bottom crust), so if you are making a pie that calls for a top crust, add more of each ingredient proportionally.
What You Will Need:
1.5 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour (packed down)
1/2 Cup Dairy Free Butter
Pinch of Salt
2T Coconut Sugar
1/4C +2T Unsweetened Almond Milk
What You Will Do:
- Mix Gluten-free flour, salt, and coconut sugar.
- Add in dairy-free butter and 1/4C Almond Milk . Mixture will be crumbly.
- Add 2 more T of Almond Milk to help glue your dough together.
- PRO TIP: GET HANDSY! Roll the dough around in a ball, mash it up with your hands so all the ingredients are spread evenly, etc.
- Roll dough into a ball and let it sit while you prepare your pie filling.
- Place gluten-free dough onto a sheet of floured parchment paper and roll the dough out.
- Lay the dough in the pie pan, and press it into the pan. REMOVE EXCESS DOUGH. If the dough breaks a bit that is totally okay! Simply press the batter back together.
- If just cooking the pie shell, cook for 15 minutes at 425 Fahrenheit. If making the full pie, cook for 5 minutes or so before adding your filling, or add your filling and cook all it once- up to you!